Wincantons' Premier Outdoor Recreational Facility
The Wincanton Recreational Trust are a volunteer group of local residents who give up their time to facilitate the Sports Grounds for the benefit of the community. They are obliged and fully committed under its charitable status, to make the facilities available to all.
Since April 2005 the sports ground has been managed by The Wincanton Sports Ground Management Committee Ltd, which is made up of members of the many “User Groups” on a voluntary basis.
Other significant contracts that have been let and funded by WRT and other grant giving bodies include:
- Construction of a drainage scheme throughout the site that included gravel banding, or sand slitting to the majority of playing surfaces.
- Construction of a 1200ft2 machinery store and workshop.
- The removal of high voltage (33kv and 11kv) overhead cables throughout the total sports ground.
- The construction of a sewage pumping station from the Sports Ground to the Wincanton Sewage Works.
- The construction of a nature pond that also acts as a water attenuation store.
- The construction of a football stand and equipment store on the No.1 football pitch.
- Construction of footpaths and roadways.
The Trustees are indebted to their many friends and organisations that have supported the development of the Sports Ground in recent years. The Trusts principle partners have been Wincanton Town Council, South Somerset District Council, Sports England National Lottery, and the substantial bequest from the estate of the late Jim Maddocks.
Many groups and organisations use the Sports Ground for their outdoor sporting activities and there are currently in excess of 15,000 sports uses annually.
For more information about the Sports Ground, please contact:
Wincanton Recreational Trust Chairman - David Norris